Dark and Light Gif meme tutorialGif your scene to begin. For dark scenes it is obviously smarter to use a scene with a darker background and same goes for lights.
DARK:1) Since my scene is darker, I duplicated my smart filter layer twice and changed the layer modes to 'Screen' (if you aren't using the smart filter trick then just use the Brightness/Contrast adjustment and adjust the Brightness to your liking)
2) I did some simple coloring on this gif:
reds: -19, -26, -56, -14
3) Since this gif has minimal movement, I just made a selection of the person with the Polygon Lasso Tool. Once you have your selection, inverse it (shift + ctrl + I or Select > Inverse).
4) Once you have your inverted selection, create a new layer and fill the layer with black. Guassian blur the layer (I used 2.4 pixels).
5) To make it look more natural I used a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer and changed the contrast to 98, but it may be different for your gif or your gif might not need it.
2) I did a bit more coloring for this gif
midtones: -100, 0, 100
Change the layer mode to 'Soft Light'
3) Instead of making a selection with the Polygon Lasso Tool, I used a soft brush (around 85px) and filled in a blank layer with white (avoiding the subject of the gif) because this gif had more movement.
reds: 43, -37, -27, 0
whites: 0, 0, -24, 0